- Samaras K. The burden of diabetes and hyperlipidemia in treated HIV infection and approaches for cardiometabolic care. Current HIV/AIDS reports. 2012; 9:206-17.
- Samaras K. Prevalence and pathogenesis of diabetes mellitus in HIV-1 infection treated with combined antiretroviral therapy. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes. 2009; 50:499-505.
- American Diabetes A. (2) Classification and diagnosis of diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2015;38 Suppl:S8-S16.
- Samaras K, McElduff A, Twigg SM, et al. Insulin levels in insulin resistance: phantom of the metabolic opera? The Medical Journal of Australia. 2006; 185:159-61.
- Stahl-Bayliss CM, Kalman CM, Laskin OL. Pentamidine-induced hypoglycemia in patients with the acquired immune deficiency syndrome. Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 1986; 39:271-5.
- Wood G, Wetzig N, Hogan P, Whitby M. Survival from pentamidine induced pancreatitis and diabetes mellitus. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Medicine 1991; 21:341-2.
- Perronne C, Bricaire F, Leport C, et al. Hypoglycaemia and diabetes mellitus following parenteral pentamidine mesylate treatment in AIDS patients. Diabetic Medicine 1990; 7:5.
- Carr A, Samaras K, Thorisdottir A, et al. Diagnosis, prediction, and natural course of HIV-1 protease-inhibitor-associated lipodystrophy, hyperlipidaemia, and diabetes mellitus: a cohort study. Lancet 1999; 353(9170):2093-9.
- Gelato MC. Insulin and carbohydrate dysregulation. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2003; 36(Suppl 2):S91-5.
- Dube MP. Disorders of glucose metabolism in patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2000; 31:1467-75.
- Galli L, Salpietro S, Pellicciotta G, et al. Risk of type 2 diabetes among HIV-infected and healthy subjects in Italy. European Journal of Epidemiology. 2012 ; 27:657-65.
- Calza L, Masetti G, Piergentili B, et al. Prevalence of diabetes mellitus, hyperinsulinaemia and metabolic syndrome among 755 adult patients with HIV-1 infection. International Journal of STD & AIDS. 2011; 22:43-5.
- Hasse B, Ledergerber B, Furrer H, et al. Morbidity and aging in HIV-infected persons: the Swiss HIV cohort study. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2011; 53:1130-9.
- De Wit S, Sabin CA, Weber R, et al. Incidence and risk factors for new-onset diabetes in HIV-infected patients: the Data Collection on Adverse Events of Anti-HIV Drugs (D:A:D) study. Diabetes Care. 2008; 31:1224-9.
- Capeau J, Bouteloup V, Katlama C, et al. Ten-year diabetes incidence in 1046 HIV-infected patients started on a combination antiretroviral treatment. AIDS 2012; 26:303-14.
- Mirani G, Williams PL, Chernoff M, et al. Changing Trends in Complications and Mortality among US Youth and Young Adults with HIV Infection in the Era of Combination Antiretroviral Therapy. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2015; 61:1850-61.
- McMahon CN, Petoumenos K, Hesse K, et al. Eleven-year incident glucose disorders in treated HIV-infection. The St Vincent’s HIV and Diabetes Study. AIDS 2018; 32: 451-459.
- Tien PC, Schneider MF, Cole SR, et al. Antiretroviral therapy exposure and incidence of diabetes mellitus in the Women's Interagency HIV Study. AIDS 2007; 21:1739-45.
- De Wit S, Sabin CA, Weber R, et al. Incidence and risk factors for new-onset diabetes in HIV-infected patients: the Data Collection on Adverse Events of Anti-HIV Drugs (D:A:D) study. Diabetes Care 2008; 31: 1224-9.
- Capeau J, Bouteloup V, Katlama C, et al. Ten-year diabetes incidence in 1046 HIV-infected patients started on a combination antiretroviral treatment. AIDS 2012; 26: 303-14.
- Ledergerber B, Furrer H, Rickenbach M, et al. Factors associated with the incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus in HIV-infected participants in the Swiss HIV Cohort Study. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2007; 45: 111-9.
- Riyaten P, Salvadori N, Traisathit P, et al. New-Onset Diabetes and Antiretroviral Treatments in HIV-Infected Adults in Thailand. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 2015; 69: 453-9.
- Brown TT, Cole SR, Li X, et al. Antiretroviral therapy and the prevalence and incidence of diabetes mellitus in the multicenter AIDS cohort study. Archives of Internal Medicine 2005; 165:1179-84.
- Justman JE, Benning L, Danoff A, et al. Protease inhibitor use and the incidence of diabetes mellitus in a large cohort of HIV-infected women. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 2003; 32:298-302.
- Brambilla AM, Novati R, Calori G, et al. Stavudine or indinavir-containing regimens are associated with an increased risk of diabetes mellitus in HIV-infected individuals. AIDS 2003; 17:1993-5.
- Herrin M, Tate JP, Akgun KM, et al. Weight Gain and Incident Diabetes Among HIV-Infected Veterans Initiating Antiretroviral Therapy Compared With Uninfected Individuals. JAIDS 2016; 73:228-36.
- Achhra AC, Mocroft A, Reiss P, et al. Short-term weight gain after antiretroviral therapy initiation and subsequent risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes: the D:A:D study. HIV Medicine 2016; 17:255-68.
- Mulligan K, Yang Y, Wininger DA, et al. Effects of metformin and rosiglitazone in HIV-infected patients with hyperinsulinemia and elevated waist/hip ratio. AIDS 2007; 21:47-57.
- Côté HC, Brumme ZL, Craib KJ, et al. Changes in mitochondrial DNA as a marker of nucleoside toxicity in HIV-infected patients. N Engl J Med 2002; 346:811-20.
- Fazekas-Lavu M, Tonks K, Samaras K. Benchmarks of diabetes care in men living with treated-HIV infection: a tertiary referral experience. Frontiers in Endocrinology 2018; 9:634.
- Price P, Mathiot N, Krueger R, et al. Immune dysfunction and immune restoration disease in HIV patients given highly active antiretroviral therapy. Journal of Clinical Virology 2001; 22:279-87.
- Sereti I, Sarlis NJ, Arioglu E, et al. Alopecia universalis and Graves' disease in the setting of immune restoration after highly active antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 2001; 15:138-40.
- Jubault V, Penfornis A, Schillo F, et al. Sequential occurrence of thyroid autoantibodies and Graves' disease after immune restoration in severely immunocompromised human immunodeficiency virus-1-infected patients. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2000; 85:4254-7.
- Gilquin J, Viard JP, Jubault V, Sert C, Kazatchkine MD. Delayed occurrence of Graves' disease after immune restoration with HAART. Lancet 1998; 352(9144):1907-8..
- Sheikh V, Dersimonian R, Richterman AG, et al. Graves' disease as immune reconstitution disease in HIV-positive patients is associated with naïve and primary thymic emigrant CD4(+) T-cell recovery. AIDS 2014; 28:31-9.
- Mandac JC, Chaudhry S, Sherman KE, Tomer Y. The clinical and physiological spectrum of interferon-alpha induced thyroiditis: toward a new classification. Hepatology 2006; 43:661-72.
- Hoffmann CJ, Brown TT. Thyroid function abnormalities in HIV-infected patients. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2007; 45:488-94.
- Gonzalez-Gonzalez JG, de la Garza-Hernandez NE, Garza-Moran RA, et al. Prevalence of abnormal adrenocortical function in human immunodeficiency virus infection by low-dose cosyntropin test. International Journal of STD & AIDS 2001; 12:804-10.
- 42. Eledrisi MS, Verghese AC. Adrenal insufficiency in HIV infection: a review and recommendations. American J Med Sci 2001; 321:137-44.
- 43. Samaras K, Pett S, Gowers A, et al. Iatrogenic Cushing's syndrome with osteoporosis and secondary adrenal failure in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients receiving inhaled corticosteroids and ritonavir-boosted protease inhibitors: six cases. Journal Clinical Endocrinology Metabolism 2005; 90:4394-8.
- Cazanave C, Dupon M, Lavignolle-Aurillac V, et al. Reduced bone mineral density in HIV-infected patients: prevalence and associated factors. AIDS 2008; 22:395-402.
- Lin D, Rieder MJ. Interventions for the treatment of decreased bone mineral density associated with HIV infection. The Cochrane database of systematic reviews. 2007 (2):CD005645.
- 46. McComsey GA, Kendall MA, Tebas P, et al. Alendronate with calcium and vitamin D supplementation is safe and effective for the treatment of decreased bone mineral density in HIV. AIDS 2007; 21:2473-82.
- Brown TT, Hoy J, Borderi M, et al. Recommendations for evaluation and management of bone disease in HIV. Clin Infect Dis 2015; 60:1242-51.
- Grinspoon S, Corcoran C, Lee K, et al. Loss of lean body and muscle mass correlates with androgen levels in hypogonadal men with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome and wasting. Journal Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 1996; 81:4051-8.
- 49. Perry-Keene D. Low testosterone in men. Australian Prescriber. 2014; 37:196-200.
- 50. Grinspoon S, Corcoran C, Miller K, et al. Body composition and endocrine function in women with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome wasting. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 1997; 82:1332-7.
- Kumar S, Samaras K. The impact of weight gain during HIV treatment on risk of pre-diabetes, diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular disease and mortality: a review. Frontiers Endocrinology 2018; 9:705.
- Tate T, Willig AL, Willig JH, et al. HIV infection and obesity: where did all the wasting go? Antiviral therapy 2012; 17:1281-9.
- Yuh B, Tate J, Butt AA, et al. Weight change after antiretroviral therapy and mortality. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2015; 60:1852-9.
- Koethe JR, Jenkins CA, Lau B, et al. Rising Obesity Prevalence and Weight Gain Among Adults Starting Antiretroviral Therapy in the United States and Canada. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses 2016; 32:50-8.
- Crum-Cianflone N, Tejidor R, Medina S, et al. Obesity among patients with HIV: the latest epidemic. AIDS Patient Pare and STDs 2008; 22:925-30.
- Crum-Cianflone N, Roediger MP, Eberly L, et al. Increasing rates of obesity among HIV-infected persons during the HIV epidemic. PloS one 2010; 5:e10106.
- Taylor BS, Liang Y, Garduno LS, et al. High risk of obesity and weight gain for HIV-infected uninsured minorities. JAIDS 2014; 65:e33-40.
- Amorosa V, Synnestvedt M, Gross R, Friedman H, MacGregor RR, Gudonis D, et al. A tale of 2 epidemics: the intersection between obesity and HIV infection in Philadelphia. JAIDS 2005; 39:557-61