1. Remis RS, Alary M, Liu J, Kaul R, Palmer RWH. HIV transmission among men who have sex with men due to condom failure. PLOS ONE 2014; 9: e107540.
2. ACSA. Clinical Supervision: A Working Definition. ACSA Definitions Report. Forest Lake, Qld, 2014.
3. Cardo DM, Culver DH, Ciesielski CA, et al. A case-control study of HIV seroconversion in health care workers after percutaneous exposure. New Engl J Med 1997; 337: 1485-1490.
4. Irvine C, Egan KJ, Shubber Z, et al. Efficacy of HIV postexposure prophylaxis: systematic review and meta-analysis of nonhuman primate studies. CID 2015; 60: S165-S169.
5. Connor EM, Sperling RS, Gelber R, et al. Reduction of maternal-infant transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 with zidovudine treatment. Pediatric AIDS Clinical Trials Group Protocol 076 Study Group. New Engl J Med 1994; 331: 1173-1180.
6. Townsend CL, Cortina-Borja M, Peckham CS, de Ruiter A, Lyall H, Tookey PA. Low rates of mother-to-child transmission of HIV following effective pregnancy interventions in the United Kingdom and Ireland, 2000–2006. AIDS 2008; 22: 973–981.
7. Cohen MS, Chen YQ, McCauley M, et al. Prevention of HIV-1 infection with early antiretroviral therapy. New Engl J Med 2011; 365: 493-505
8. Grant RM, Lama JR, Anderson PL, et al. Preexposure chemoprophylaxis for HIV prevention in men who have sex with men. New Engl J Med 2010; 363: 2587-2599.
9. Baeten JM, Donnell D, Ndase P, et al. Antriretroviral prophylaxis in heterosexual men and women. New Engl J Med 2012; 367: 399 – 410.
10. Choopanya K, Martin M, Suntharasamai P, et al. Antiretroviral prophylaxis for HIV infection in injecting drug users in Bangkok, Thailand (the Bangkok Tenofovir Study): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 trial. Lancet 2013;381:2083-2090.
11. Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing. National guidelines for post-exposure prophylaxis after non-occupational exposure to HIV. Available at: http://www.ashm.org.au/pep-guidelines (accessed 25 April 2018).
12. Roland ME, Neilands TB, Krone M, et al. Seroconversion following non-occupational postexposure prophylaxis against HIV. Clin Infect Dis 2005; 41: 1507-1513.
13. Jochimsen EM, Luo CC, Beltrami JF, et al. Investigations of possible failures of postexposure prophylaxis following occupational exposures to human immunodeficiency virus. Arch Intern Med 1999; 159: 2361-2363.
14. Tsai C-C, Emau P, Follis KE, et al. Effectiveness of postinoculation (R)-9-(2-phosphonylmethoxypropyl)adenine treatment for prevention of persistent simian immunodeficiency virus SIVmne infection depends critically on timing of initiation and duration of treatment. J Virol 1998; 72: 4265-73.
15. Roland ME, Neilands TB, Krone M, et al. Seroconversion following non-occupational postexposure prophylaxis against HIV. Clin Infect Dis 2005; 41: 1507-1513.
16. Ford N, Irvine C, Shubber Z, et al. Adherence to HIV postexposure prophylaxis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS 2014; 28: 2721 – 2727.
17. Ford N & Mayer KH for the World Health Organizationpostexposure prophylaxis guideline development group. World Health Organization guidelines on postexposure prophylaxis for HIV: recommendations for a public health approach. CID 2015; 60: S161 – S163
18. Post-exposure prophylaxis to prevent HIV infection. Joint WHO/ILO guidelines on post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) to prevent HIV infection Geneva, Switzerland. WHO, 2007. Available at: http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/prophylaxis/pep_guidelines/en/ (accessed 25 April 2018)
19. McAllister J, Read P, McNulty A, Tong WWY and Carr A. Raltegravir-emtricitabine-tenofovir as HIV nonoccupational post-exposure prophylaxis in men who have sex with men: safety, tolerability and adherence. HIV Med 2014; 1: 13-22
20. Foster R, McAllister J, Read TR, et al. Single-Tablet Emtricitabine-Rilpivirine-Tenofovir as HIV Postexposure in Men Who Have Sex With Men. Clin Infect Dis 2015; Jun 29. pii: civ511. [Epub ahead of print]
21. McAllister J, Towns J, McNulty A et al. Dolutegravir with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate-emtricitabine as HIV post-exposure prophylaxis in gay and bisexual men [abstract]. In: Proceedings of 21st International AIDS Conference; 2016 Jul 18-22; Durban, South Africa: Abstract WEPEC231
22. Poynten IM, Jin F, Mao L, et al. Nonoccupational postexposure prophylaxis, subsequent risk behaviour and HIV incidence in a cohort of Australian homosexual men. AIDS 2009; 23: 1119-1126.
23. Johnson WD, Diaz RM, Flanders WD, et al. Behavioral interventions to reduce risk for sexual transmission of HIV among men who have sex with men. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008: 3: CD001230. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD001230.pub2.
24. Zablotska IB, Kippax, S, Grulich A, Holt M, Prestage G. Behavioural surveillance among gay men in Australia: methods, findings and policy implications for the prevention of HIV and other sexually transmissible infections. Sexual; Health 2011; 8: 272 – 279.
25. Haberer J. Current Concepts for PrEP Adherence in the PrEP Revolution; from clinical trials to routine practice. Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2016;1:10–17.
26. Grulich A et al. Rapid reduction in HIV diagnoses after targeted PrEP implementation in New South Wales, Australia. 25th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI 2018), Boston, abstract 88, 2018.
27. Australian National PrEP Guidelines. Available at http://arv.ashm.org.au/images/Australian_National_PrEP_Guidelines.PDF (accessed 25 April 2018).
28. Cooper RD, Wiebe N, Smith N, Keiser P, Naicker S, Tonelli M. Systematic review and metaanalysis: renal safety of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in HIV-infected patients. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;51:496-505.
29. McComsey GA, Tebas P, Shane E, et al. Bone disease in HIV infection: a practical review and recommendations for HIV care providers. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;51:937-46.
30. Grant RM, Lama JR, Anderson PL, et al. Preexposure chemoprophylaxis for HIV prevention in men who have sex with men. New Engl J Med 2010; 363: 2587-2599.
31. McAllister J, Morris D, Holliday S, Carr A. Substantial loss of bone mineral density in some patients receiving tenofovir-emtricitabine as HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis [abstract]. In 18th International Workshop on Comorbidities and Adverse Drug Reactions in HIV; 2016 Sep 12-13; New York: Abstract 002.
32. Choopanya K, Martin M, Suntharasamai P, et al. Antiretroviral prophylaxis for HIV infection in injecting drug users in Bangkok, Thailand (the Bangkok Tenofovir Study): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 trial. Lancet 2013;381:2083-2090.